News:Indian Prime minister has attended the 14th East Asia Summit in Bangkok,Thailand.
About East Asia Summit:
- The East Asia Summit(EAS) was established in 2005.It is a forum of 18 countries.
- The summit has evolved as a forum for strategic dialogue and cooperation on political, security and economic issues of common regional concerns.
- The EAS comprises the ten member states of the ASEAN countries along with 8 members Australia, China, Japan, India, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States.
- The concept of an East Asia Grouping was first promoted in 1991 by then Malaysian Prime Minister,Mahathir bin Mohamad.
- There are six priority areas of regional cooperation within the framework of the EAS which are (a) Environment and Energy (b) Education (c)Finance (d) Global Health Issues and Pandemic Diseases (e) Natural Disaster Management and (f) ASEAN Connectivity.
- The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia in 2005.India is a founding member of the East Asia Summit.