- The Central Government has compulsorily retired 15 senior customs and central excise officials.
- These officers either had corruption cases registered against them by the CBI or were involved in bribery, extortion and disproportionate assets cases.
- The orders issued by the Finance Ministry have invoked rule 56(j) of the Fundamental Rules.Based on this rule,the President has retired these officials with immediate effect.
- Rule 56 covers Group ‘A & B’ officers who entered service before 35 years of age and have attained 50 years of age.
- Rule 56(j) of the Fundamental Rules allows the appropriate authority to retire any government servant in public interest by giving notice of three months.
- This decision comes after the government had earlier sacked 12 Income Tax officers on charges of corruption, forgery and professional misconduct.
5 min read