- The country will celebrate this year the 20th anniversary of victory in Kargil war with the theme ‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’.
- The objective of these celebrations is to evoke feelings of nationalism and patriotism through nationwide campaigns especially amongst youth and to pay homage to the valiant soldiers.
- India had launched Operation Vijay in 1999 to clear the Kargil sector of infiltration by Pakistani soldiers and Kashmiri militants on the Indian side of the Line of Control.
- The war took place between May and July of 1999 in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kargil district.It began with the infiltration of both Pakistani troops and terrorists into Indian territory.
- The infiltrators positioned themselves in key locations that gave them a strategic advantage during the start of the conflict.
- Operation Safed Sagar which was launched by the Indian Air Force’s was a major part of the Kargil war.It used air power at the height of 32,000 feet for the first time.
- The Kargil War will always be remembered for its strategic and tactical surprises,the self-imposed national strategy of restraint in keeping the war limited to Kargil – Siachen Sectors and swiftly executed tri-services military strategy and plans.
4 min read