News:The 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) will be held in Bangkok,Thailand.
- The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN countries and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
- The eight dialogue partners are Australia,New Zealand, India, China, Russia, the US, Japan and South Korea.It was held for the first time in Hanoi,Vietnam in 2010.
- It seeks to promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments of ASEAN and its eight partner countries through greater dialogue and transparency.
Objectives of ADMM-plus:
- To benefit ASEAN member countries in building capacity to address shared security challenges, while cognisant of the differing capacities of various ASEAN countries.
- To promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments through greater dialogue and transparency.
- To enhance regional peace and stability through cooperation in defence and security, in view of the transnational security challenges the region faces.
- To facilitate the implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme which calls for ASEAN to build a peaceful,secure and prosperous ASEAN.