- Researchers from the Delhi have developed a novel translucent nail lacquer fortified with an antifungal drug to treat onychomycosis.The drug-infused,quick-drying polymer can be easily applied like nail polish.
- Onychomycosis is an infection which is caused due to the fungus, named Trichophyton rubrum.It causes painful infection of toe and fingernails.
- The infection is prevalent in coastal regions and wet work zones.It accounts for about half of all nail diseases.It causes brittleness, discolouration and disfigurement of nails.
- The disease needs prolonged treatment with both oral medication and application of ointments which are both expensive and have side effects.
- This nail lacquer produced by researchers has shown promising results in delivering the antifungal drug for extended durations indicating its potential use as a topical application and effective remedy to treat onychomycosis.
6 min read