- Afghanistan’s Supreme Court has extended the term of President Ashraf Ghani until elections which have been delayed till September,2019.
- The delayed elections comes as the US tries to negotiate a peace deal with the Taliban.Further,it is said that the polls were being deliberately delayed to create more space for those talks.
- However,Opposition has called for an interim government to fill the gap between President Ashraf Ghani mandate and the presidential elections.
- Recently,Peace conference in Qatar that was intended to bring Taliban negotiators and Afghan government officials together was postponed indefinitely after Taliban has objected to the Afghan officials included in the country’s delegation.
- Further,U.S and Taliban negotiators are set to conclude discussions on a preliminary draft agreement about a timeline for foreign forces to exit Afghanistan in exchange for assurances from the Taliban that they would disallow terrorists from using the Afghan soil for attacks against other countries.
Please follow and like us: