- Ministry of External Affairs has asserted that Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019 is an internal matter of India.
- This statement came after China had objected to the creation of the Union Territory of Ladakh and said it undermined its sovereignty.
- The Central Government has revoked provisions of Article 370 which granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir.It has also bifurcated the state into two separate union territories of Jammu and Kashmir(with legislature) and Ladakh (without legislature).
- India and China have 3,488-km long Line of Actual Control (LAC) between them.The two countries have held 21 rounds of Special Representatives talks so far to resolve the boundary dispute.
- China has claims over Ladakh due to the continuing dispute over Aksai China which began when Pakistan ceded it to China in 1963.There have been several intrusions in Ladakh by China to the non-demarcation of the Line of Actual Control.
- The most serious stand-off was in 2013 when Indian and Chinese troops camped in front of each other at Daulat Beg Oldi for three weeks.In 2017 ,China had protested when India was constructing a road near the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh.
2 min read