- The US, the UK and France have moved a fresh proposal in the UN Security Council to designate Pakistan-based terror group JeM’s chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist under UNSC 1267 Committee.
- It is the fourth such bid at the UN in the last 10 years to list Azhar as a global terrorist after China has repeatedly used its veto power to block the proposal.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations. It is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list, it helps in (a)Freezing their assets (b) Arms embargo and (c) travel ban.
2 min read