- The Arab League has pledged to pay $100m a month to the Palestinian Authority(PA) to plug the gap left after Israel had blocked tax transfers to Palestine earlier this year.
- Israel collects taxes on behalf of the Palestinian Authorities but had stopped the transfers.Israel has accused the Palestinian Authority of transferring the payments to political prisoners jailed for attacks against Israelis.However, Palestinian Authority(PA) sees the payments as a kind of welfare system for families who have lost a breadwinner.
- The Arab League is a regional organization of Arab states in and around North Africa,the Horn of Africa and Saudi Arabia.It was formed in Cairo in 1945 with six members which are Egypt,Iraq,Jordan,Lebanon,Saudi Arabia and Syria.
- Currently,the League has 22 members but Syria’s participation has been suspended since November 2011 as a consequence of government repression during the Syrian Civil War.
- The League’s main goal is to draw closer the relations between member States and coordinate collaboration between them, to safeguard their independence and sovereignty, and to consider in a general way the affairs and interests of the Arab countries.
Please follow and like us: