- Assam chief electoral officer said those people who have their names enrolled in the electoral rolls will be able to cast their votes in the Lok Sabha polls.
- There was confusion among a large section of people in Assam whether those excluded from the draft National Register of Citizens(NRC) could cast their votes or not.The draft NRC published last year excluded over 40 lakh people from the citizenship register.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a register which contains the name of all citizens of India residing in Assam. It was prepared in 1951. The process of NRC update in Assam has been taken up as per a Supreme Court order in 2013.The update is being carried out under the Citizenship Act, 1955,and according to rules framed in the Assam Accord, 1985.
- Assam Accord is a Memorandum of Settlement (MoS) signed between representatives of the Government of India and the leaders of the Assam Movement- a movement against illegal immigrants in Assam. As per the accord, there has to be a separate NRC for Assam.
- Citizenship Act, 1955- dealing with acquisition and loss of citizenship in India- was amended in 1985 to incorporate Section 6A.This section fixes March 25, 1971 as the cut-off date for granting citizenship to Bangladeshi migrants in Assam.
2 min read