News:Assam’s Goods and Services Tax authority has asked the Bihu committees to make all transactions through cheques during the Bihu festival.If complied with,the artistes would have to pay 18% GST.
About Bihu festival:
- Assamese Bihu is one of the most important cultural festivals of Assam, which celebrates the change in seasons.
- It mainly caters to the agrarian culture and society of the state and marks the beginning of Assamese New Year and harvest season.
- During the festival,Bihu Dance,which is a popular folk dance associated with the state of Assam is also performed.
Types of Bihu festival:
- Bhogali or Magh Bihu:The Magh Bihu festival is celebrated during January.It sees the first harvest of the season being offered to the gods along with prayers for peace and prosperity.
- Rongali or Bohag Bihu:It is observed in April.Rongali or Bohag Bihu is the Assamese New Year and Spring festival.The Rongali Bihu coincides with Punjabi New Year Baisakhi.
- Kongali or Kati Bihu:It is observed in October.During this festival,Bodo people of Assam light lamps and pray to God for a thriving harvesting season.