- Prime Minister is going for the 2019 G20 Summit to be held in Osaka, Japan.The summit will be the 14th such gathering.The theme of the G20 summit 2019 is human-centred future society.
- There will be four key sessions at the summit (a)Global Economy:Trade and Investment (b)Innovation in Digital Economy and Artificial Intelligence (c)Addressing Inequalities and Realising an Inclusive Sustainable World and (d)Climate Change,Energy and Environment.
- India will raise issues such as return of fugitive economic offenders, terrorism, portable social security schemes, disaster-resilient infrastructure and food security.
- Indian PM is likely to make a case for countering terrorism.PM had raised the issue in a major way in the G-20 meet in Hamburg in 2017.
- Indian PM had equated Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Muhammad with the IS and al-Qaeda.He had suggested that government functionaries of countries which support terrorists should be barred from entering G-20 countries.
- The Osaka communique is going to look at terrorism in a strong manner since the Japanese are also keen after their nationals became victims of attacks perpetrated by the IS in Bangladesh and Syria.
- G20 is an international forum of the governments and central bank governors from 20 major economies formed in 1999.The group accounts for 85% of world GDP and two-thirds of the population.They have no permanent staff of its own and its chairmanship rotates annually between nations divided into regional groupings.
7 min read