News: Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has released draft regulations titled Food Safety and Standards (Safe Food and healthy diets for School Children) Regulations, 2019.
Key provisions of Food Safety and Standards (Safe Food and healthy diets for School Children) Regulations, 2019.
- Foods high in fat, salt and sugar (HFSS) cannot be sold to children in school canteens/mess premises/hostel kitchens or within 50 m of the school campus.
- Schools should adopt a comprehensive programme for promoting healthy diets among children.
- The school campus should be converted into ‘Eat Right School’ focussing on local and seasonal food and no food waste as per the specified benchmarks
- School authorities to promote consumption of a safe and balanced diet in the school as per the guidelines issued by the National Institute of Nutrition
- The school authorities would have to ensure that Food Business Operators (FBOs) supplying prepared meals in the premises are on the basis of general guidance provided in the regulation and as per the directions issued by the Food Authority or the Commissioners of Food safety.
- Nutrionists, dieticians must be engaged by the school administration to assist in the preparation of menu for children periodically.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI):
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a statutory autonomous body under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. It comes under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.