- Bangladesh has signed a nuclear fuel supply agreement with Russia for Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant project.
- The deal was signed between the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission and Russian Nuclear Fuel Supply Company(TVEL).
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant is an under-construction 2.4 GWe nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.It will be the Bangladesh first nuclear power plant and the first of two units are expected to go into operation in 2023.
- According to the inter-governmental agreement signed with Russia in November 2011,Bangladesh is required to procure nuclear fuel from the Russian company for the entire lifespan of the power plant.
- In 2018,India,Bangladesh and Russia had signed tripartite memorandum of understanding(MoU) for cooperation in construction of Rooppur nuclear power plant.
- Russia will build nuclear power plant.Since,India is not a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group(NSG),it will not participate directly in the construction of atomic power reactors.But,Indian companies will be involved in construction and installation works of non critical category.
2 min read