- External Affairs Minister has introduced the Registration of Marriage of Non-Resident Indian Bill, 2019 in Rajya Sabha. The bill aims to offer more protection against exploitation of Indian women by their NRI spouses.
- The bill envisages compulsory registration of marriages by Non-Resident Indians within 30 days of marriage.
- The bill also seeks to amend the Passports Act 1967 to allow for the cancellation of passport or travel document of NRI in case non-registration of marriages. The Passports Act is the legislation that guides issue and cancellation of passports and travel documents.
- It calls for amendment to the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 to empower the Courts for issuance of summons, warrants to NRIs. CrPc is the main legislation on procedure for administration of criminal law in India.
- Several reports of women trapped in fraudulent marriages and harassed by NRI spouses have necessitated the introduction of the bill.
1 min read