News:The Defence Ministry has concluded cost negotiations with Tata and Airbus for the purchase of Airbus C-295 transport aircraft as part of the Avro replacement programme of the Indian Air Force(IAF).
- The Airbus C295 is a new generation tactical airlifter in the light and medium segment.It is manufactured by the Airbus Defence and Space in Spain.
- It is robust and reliable but also highly versatile in terms of the number of different missions it can perform.
- The C295 conducts multi-role operations worldwide under all weather conditions.It is fully certified and routinely operates day and night in combat missions in all weather extremes.
About the Deal:
- India has concluded a deal to acquire 62 Airbus C295 medium transport aircraft(MTA).
- As part of the deal,16 aircraft will be built by Airbus at its manufacturing facility and the remaining will be built locally by the Tata-Airbus joint venture under transfer of technology.
- The deal is now being processed to put it up for clearance from the Cabinet Committee on Security(CCS).
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) is chaired by the Prime Minister.The committee comprises of Minister of External Affairs,the Home Minister,the Finance Minister and the Defence Minister.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) takes decision on (a)senior appointments in the national security apparatus (b)defence policy and expenditure and (c)generally all matters of India’s national security.