- The Union Cabinet has approved the “Flood Management and Border Areas Programme (FMBAP)” for Flood Management Works in entire country.
- The Scheme “FMBAP” has been framed by merging the components of two continuing schemes which are “Flood Management Programme (FMP) and River Management Activities and Works related to Border Areas (RMBA).
- The aim of the Scheme is to assist the State Governments to provide reasonable degree of protection against floods in critical areas by adopting optimum combination of structural and non-structural measures and enhancing capabilities of State/ Central Government officials in related fields.
- The works under the scheme seeks to (a)protect valuable land from erosion and flooding (b)completion of the on-going projects already approved under FMP (c)effective flood management (d)erosion control (e)anti-sea erosion and (f)catchment area treatment works to help in reduction of sediment load into rivers.
- The Scheme also includes survey,investigations and preparation of Detailed project report(DPR) of water resources projects on the common rivers with neighbouring countries like Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project, Sapta Kosi-Sun Kosi Projects in Nepal which would benefit both countries.
2 min read