- The Union Cabinet has approved the introduction of the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Bill,2019.
- The Bill will replace The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Ordinance, 2019.
- The bill provides for a 200-point roster that defines college or university as the unit for faculty reservation rather than a department or subject.
- This bill was introduced after the University Grants Commission (UGC) had announced that a 13-point roster would be followed.Accordingly, individual department was considered as the base unit to calculate the number of teaching posts to be reserved for SC and STs candidates.It was framed after an order by the Allahabad High Court
- The Allahabad High Court had ruled that the reservation for the Scheduled Castes (SCs),Scheduled Tribes (STs) and Other Backward Castes (OBCs) for faculty positions in state universities should be implemented in such a manner that each department of a university has to be considered as a unit.
- Prior to that Order,the reservation in universities was implemented by 200-point roster which considered the whole university as a single unit.The order was seen as a major setback as the department wise reservation would have led to decline in SC, ST representation.
- Further,the bill will also ensure providing 10% reservation to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).
- Recently,the central government had passed 103rd Constitutional Amendment Act.It provides for 10% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for the economically weaker section in the unreserved category.It also provides for reservation in private unaided educational institutions.
7 min read