News:Indian Prime minister and Iranian President met on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly’s 74th session to discuss progress on Chabahar Port.
About Chabahar port:
- Chabahar Port is a seaport in Chabahar city located in southeastern Iran on the Gulf of Oman.It serves as Iran’s only oceanic port.
- The Chabahar Agreement was signed in June 2015 and approved by Iran’s Guardian Council in November 2016.
- Chabahar is being seen as a gateway for trade by India, Iran and Afghanistan with Central Asian countries.
Significance of Chabahar port:
- The most important significance of Chabahar port is the fact that India can bypass Pakistan in transporting goods to Afghanistan.
- The port is also beneficial to India in countering Chinese presence in the Arabian Sea which China is trying to ensure by helping Pakistan develop the Gwadar port.
- Chabahar also ensures in the establishment of a politically sustainable connectivity between India and Afghanistan.This will lead to better economic ties between the two countries.
- The port could also be used as a point from where humanitarian operations could be coordinated by India.
- Chabahar port also fosters closer ties between India and Iran and allows India to secure cheaper energy imports from Iran.