News:Government has notified changes in Apprenticeship Rules(1992) with an aim to increase skilled manpower in the country and raise monetary compensation of apprentices.
What is Apprenticeship?
- The Apprenticeship Training programme is the combination of on-the-job training and classroom training wherein the workers earn while learning the skills required for performing the specialized job.
Salient Features of notified Apprenticeship Rules:
- The hiring limit of apprentices has been raised to 15% of the total strength of an establishment.
- The minimum stipends have been doubled to between Rs 5,000 and Rs 9,000 per month.
- The stipend for graduate apprentices or degree apprentices has been increased to Rs 9,000 per month.
- For school pass outs, between Class 5th and 9th,the stipend has been increased to Rs 5,000 per month.
- The Centre has also lowered the size limit of an establishment with a mandatory obligation to engage apprentices on an optional basis from 40 to 30.