- According to a report titled ‘2019 China Military Power’ released by the US Pentagon,China may create more military bases across the world to protect its investments in its ambitious Belt and road initiative(BRI).
- Currently,China has one overseas military base in Africa’s Djibouti.The report said that China will seek to establish additional military bases in countries with which it has a long-standing friendly relationship and similar strategic interests such as in Pakistan.
- The report has also added that China has rapidly modernised its war-fighting capabilities ranging from nuclear-capable missiles and submarines to cyber warfare and anti-satellite weapons.It has developed hypersonic missiles which can travel more than five times the speed of sound.
- The report said that China has continued to use coercive measures with both its economic and military tools to advance its interests and to mitigate opposition from other countries.The report cited the example where China had recently used economic coercion by reducing overseas trade and tourism in an effort to influence domestic politics and political institutions in countries such as Australia and Palau.
- Further,the report has also said that deepening Chinese activities in the Arctic region could pave the way for a strengthened military presence in Arctic region including the deployment of submarines to act as deterrents against nuclear attacks.
7 min read