- China has dismissed the reports that the US,UK and France has served an ultimatum until April 23 to lift its technical hold on designating Pakistan-based JeM chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist.
- However,China has said that the issue is heading towards a settlement and has asked the US not to force through its own resolution on the matter.
- Earlier,US has circulated a draft resolution in the UN Security Council proposing to blacklist Jaish chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist.
- This move came after UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee had failed to designate Azhar as a terrorist after China has repeatedly used its veto power to block the proposal.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list, it leads to(a)countries to freeze the targeted group’s or individual’s assets (b)ban designated individuals from travelling and (c)prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.
2 min read