- Chinese President will be travelling to North Korea for a two-day visit. The visit will be the first by any Chinese leader to North Korea in 14 years.
- North Korean leader has visited China four times but no Chinese president has visited North Korea since Hu Jintao in 2005.
- The visit is intended to help the relations between the two countries after China had backed a series of UN sanctions against North Korea over its nuclear activities.
- This visit comes after talks between the US and North Korea had stalled over the issue of North Korea’s nuclear programme.
- On the other hand,the US and China are locked in an escalating trade war with both countries announcing new tariffs on each other’s goods.
- Further,the Chinese President will also visit the Sino-Korean Friendship Tower in Pyongyang.It is a monument commemorating China’s assistance to North Korea during the 1950-1953 Korean War.
- North Korea and South Korea have been locked in an armed standoff since their 1950-53 war which had ended in an Armistice Agreement and not a peace treaty.
- The agreement divided the Korean peninsula into two along the 38th Parallel and also provided for neutral international peace patrol.
5 min read