- U.S. Chief of naval operations has said that India and the U.S. are cooperating to prevent all forms of terrorism both from land and sea.
- He said that the foundational agreement,Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) which India had signed in 2018 would enable exchange of information on such threats.
- COMCASA is an India-specific version of the Communication and Information on Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA).It came into force immediately and is valid for a period of 10 years.
- COMCASA allows India to procure specialised equipment for encrypted communications from the U.S. origin military platforms.This will also enable greater communications interoperability between the militaries of India and the US.
- CISMOA is one of the four foundational agreements that the U.S. signs with allies and close partners to facilitate interoperability between militaries and sale of high end technology.
- India had signed the General Security Of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA) in 2002 and the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) in 2016. The last one remaining is the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA).
9 min read