News:A meeting of the National Crisis Management Committee(NCMC), chaired by the Cabinet Secretary was held to review the preparations for the cyclone Maha.
About Cyclone Maha:
- The depression over Arabian Sea has intensified into a cyclonic storm. It is named Maha.The name is given by Oman.
- The cyclone is centered over Lakshadweep and the adjoining southeast Arabian Sea and the Maldives area.
- The cyclone Maha will be the fourth Cyclone in Arabian Sea to form after Vayu, Hikaa and Kyaar.
- Government of India had set up a Standing National Crisis Management Committee for effective implementation of relief measures in the wake of natural calamities.
- The committee is headed by Cabinet Secretary.It includes Secretaries of Ministries / Departments and agencies with specific Disaster management responsibilities.
- The key functions of the committee include (a)oversee the Command, Control and Coordination of the disaster response and (b)give direction to the Crisis Management Group(CMG) as deemed necessary.