News:Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence minister has accorded approval for three projects to be indigenously designed, developed and manufactured by the Indian industry.
About the Projects:
- The first two projects include third generation Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) and the Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) for the T-72 and T-90 Tanks.
- The third generation ATGM would provide fire and forget and Top Attack capabilities to the troops in an armoured battle.
- On the other hand, APUs would enable incorporation of various upgrades to Fire Control System and Night Fighting capabilities of the Tanks.
- These projects will be progressed under the Make in India II category and will provide a boost to indigenous research and development in the Private Sector.
- Further,the third indigenous project is the Electronic Warfare (EW) systems for the mountain and High Altitude terrain which would be designed and developed by Defence Research and development organization(DRDO).
About Defence acquisition Council:
- Defence Acquisition Council(DAC) is the highest decision making body for military procurement.
- The council was formed in 2001.It is headed by Defence minister.
- The objective of the DAC is to ensure expeditious procurement of the approved requirements of the Armed Forces in terms of capabilities sought and time frame prescribed by optimally utilizing the allocated budgetary resources.
- The council also gives policy guidelines to acquisitions based on long-term procurement plans.
- It also clears all acquisitions including imported equipment and those produced indigenously or under a foreign licence.