News:Delhi government has issued notification for the implementation of odd-even scheme from November 4th to November 15th,2019.
Why is this scheme needed?
- The scheme is being implemented as pollution levels in parts of Delhi has reached the severe plus category after Air Quality index has crossed 500.
- The Environment Pollution (Prevention & Control) Authority (EPCA) has also declared a public health emergency across Delhi.
About Odd-Even Scheme:
- The odd-even scheme is a car-rationing scheme to be implemented by the Delhi Government.
- Under the scheme,Private vehicles will be allowed to run across the city based on their registration numbers.
- For example, if a vehicle’s registration number ends with an odd digit, it will be allowed on the road on odd days while that ending with an even number can be driven on even days.
Idea behind the scheme:
- The scheme is modeled on the scheme that the Chinese government had implemented in Beijing in 2008 just before the summer Olympics.
- While the rule was supposed to be temporary it eventually turned out to be quite effective and was permanently implemented by the government in China.
- The odd even rule has also been implemented elsewhere in the world such as in Paris and Mexico as well as Brazil and Norway.
About Air quality index:
- Air Quality Index(AQI) was launched for monitoring the quality of air in major urban centres across the country on a real-time basis and enhancing public awareness for taking mitigative action.
- The AQI classifies air quality of a day considering criteria pollutants through colour codes and air quality descriptor.
- The index measures eight major pollutants, namely, particulate matter (PM 10 and PM 2.5), nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, ozone, carbon monoxide, ammonia and lead.
- An Air Quality Index(AQI) between (a)0 and 50 is considered ‘good’ (b) 51 and 100 ‘satisfactory’ (c)101 and 200 ‘moderate’ (d)201 and 300 ‘poor’ (e)301 and 400 ‘very poor’ and (f)401 and 500 ‘severe’.
- It is a Supreme Court mandated body tasked with taking various measures to tackle air pollution in Delhi NCR.
- It was constituted in 1998 under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.