- Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region(MDoNER) has announced that Assam will become the first state to have first-ever Bamboo Industrial Park in the northeast.
- This industrial park will be set up in Manderdisa in Assam’s Dima Hasao district.This project is set to be completed by March 2021.
- Further,the central government has also planned to set up another project for Bamboo Park in Itanagar,Arunachal Pradesh which would be taken up by the North eastern Council(NEC).
- North Eastern Council(NEC) was constituted as a statutory advisory body under the NEC Act,1971 and came into being on the 7th November,1972 at Shillong.
- The eight States of Northeast India are members of the council with their respective Chief Ministers and Governors representing them.Sikkim was added to the council in the year 2002.
- The headquarters of the council is situated in Shillong,Meghalaya and functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India.
- The Council was initially set up as an advisory body but now sanctioned as a Regional planning body since 2002.They can now discuss any matter in which the North Eastern States have a common interest and decide the action to be taken on any such matter.
2 min read