- The Enforcement Directorate(ED) has again questioned former ICICI Bank CEO and her husband in an ongoing probe under Prevention of Money Laundering Act(PMLA).
- ED had registered the case against former ICICI Bank CEO under financial provisions of the PMLA.They are investigating whether she made any personal gains by alleged irregularities in the release of loans sanctioned by ICICI bank to Videocon in 2012.
- Money laundering is the process by which large amounts of illegally received money is given the appearance of having originated from a legitimate source.
- The Prevention of Money Laundering Act 2002(PMLA) came into force in 2005.It defines money laundering offence and provides for the freezing, seizure and confiscation of the proceeds of crime.The provisions of this act are applicable to all financial institutions like banks, mutual funds, insurance companies, and their financial intermediaries.
- The act was amended thrice, first in 2005, then in 2009 and 2012. PMLA(Amendment) Act, 2012 has enlarged the definition of money laundering by including activities such as concealment, acquisition, possession and use of proceeds of crime as criminal activities.
- ED is a law enforcement agency and economic intelligence agency responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic crime in India.It is part of the Department of Revenue,Ministry of Finance.
- The prime objective of the Enforcement Directorate is the enforcement of two key Acts- (a)Foreign Exchange Management Act 1999 (FEMA) and (b)Prevention of Money Laundering Act 2002 (PMLA).Other objectives are primarily linked to checking money laundering in India.
8 min read