News:Recently,Nvidia has announced its edge computing platform to help telecom operators adopt 5G networks capable of supporting edge workloads.
About Edge Computing:
- Edge computing enables data to be analysed, processed and transferred at the edge of a network.
- The idea is to analyse data locally closer to where it is stored, in real-time without latency rather than send it far away to a centralised data centre.
About Cloud Computing:
- Cloud computing is the delivery of different services through the Internet. These resources include tools and applications like data storage, servers, databases, networking, and software.
- Rather than keeping files on a proprietary hard drive or local storage device,cloud-based storage makes it possible to save them to a remote database.
Difference between Cloud Computing and Edge Computing:
- The basic difference between edge computing and cloud computing lies in the place where the data processing takes place.
- Currently,the existing Internet of Things(IoT) systems performs all of their computations in the cloud using data centres.
- On the other hand,Edge computing essentially manages the massive amounts of data generated by IoT devices by storing and processing data locally.
- The data doesn’t need to be sent over a network as soon as it processed and only important data is sent.Hence,an edge computing network reduces the amount of data that travels over the network.
Edge Computing Security:
- There are two sides of the edge computing security.Some argue that security is theoretically better in an edge computing environment because data is not traveling over a network and it’s staying closer to where it was created.
- However,others believe that edge computing is inherently less secure because the edge devices themselves can be more vulnerable.