- The Election Commission has not received the final tally on the mandatory matching of Voter-Verified Paper Audit Trail(VVPAT) slips with the Electronic Voting Machine(EVM).
- As per the Supreme Court’s order,EC has to counter-check the VVPAT and EVM tallies in five randomly selected polling stations in an Assembly segment.
- Previously,only the VVPAT slips from one EVM in every Assembly segment was subjected to physical verification.
- In 2013,the Conduct of Election Rules was amended and notified to introduce VVPATs.These were first used in the byelection to the Noksen Assembly seat in Nagaland the same year.
- The EC has laid down an elaborate procedure to ensure the integrity of VVPATs and EVMs.They are transported in GPS-fitted vehicles and their movement is kept under constant surveillance.
- Before the actual use of EVMs and VVPATs at polling stations,mock polls are conducted on the machines three times.After the exercise,the printed slips from each VVPAT machine are counted and the result is tallied with the electronic result of control unit.The tally is shown to representatives of political parties.
- Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) is an independent system attached to an EVM that allows the voters to verify that their votes are cast as intended. It helps to detect any possible election fraud or malfunction of EVMs.
Please follow and like us: