News:Since August,2019 a rare disease has killed five elephants in Odisha. The disease is caused by a virus called Elephant Endotheliotropic Herpesvirus (EEHV).
- Elephant endotheliotropic herpesviruses (EEHV) is also known as Elephantid betaherpesvirus 1(ElHV-1).
- EEHVs is a type of herpesvirus that can cause a highly fatal haemorrhagic disease in young Asian elephants between the ages of one and 12.
- When EEHV is triggered,the elephant dies of massive internal bleeding and symptoms which are hardly visible.
What it is a cause of concern?
- There is no true cure for herpesviruses in animals or humans.
- The disease has a short course of 28-35 hours and is usually accompanied by fatality.
- As a result,one has to take a very quick call on a suspected EEH Virus.