- United Nations Security Council has met for a closed-door informal consultation on the situation in Jammu and Kashmir at the request of China.
- India and Pakistan did not attend the UNSC meeting which was open only to the five permanent members and 10 non-permanent members.
- However,except China,no other UNSC member commented on the meeting after it ended given that it was an informal consultation.
- Indian Ambassador to the UN countered China.He reiterated that issues around special status to Jammu & Kashmir were an internal matter of India.
- The ambassador has also said that the abrogation of Article 370 was done to enhance good governance and socio-economic development in Jammu and Kashmir and that the UNSC consultations had taken note of this.
- The ambassador has also said that India was committed to all the agreements it had signed on the Kashmir issue.It informed UN of 1972 Simla Agreement between India and Pakistan which had turned Kashmir into a bilateral subject.
2 min read