News:A new mineral has been discovered inside a diamond unearthed from a mine in South Africa.
- The mineral has been found in Earth’s Mantle (A part of the Interior of the Earth) which covers 80% of earth’s volume.
- It has high concentrations of niobium, potassium and the rare earth elements lanthanum and cerium.
- The found single grain is dark green in colour and opaque.
- The mineral has been named after the Norwegian scientist Victor Moritz Goldschmidt who is considered as the founder of Modern Geochemist.
Interior of the Earth:The earth interior is generally classified into three layers:
- Crust which is the outermost layer of the earth
- Mantle which lies between the crust and the core and is divided into upper and lower mantle
- Core which is the deepest zone of the earth which is again divided into the outer and inner core.