News:Recently,China has approved the world’s first multi-targeting and carbohydrate-based drug GV-971 for Alzheimer’s disease.
About Drug GV-971:
- The drug has been extracted from brown algae and can treat mild to moderate forms of Alzheimer’s disease and improve cognition.
- It is the world’s first multi targeting drug.The drug can be taken orally by the patients.
- Multi-target drugs hit several targets in the body which is often necessary to do in order to yield a therapeutic effect in complex diseases like Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s.
- This is different from most drugs which target only a single biological substance, like a protein or enzyme.
About Alzheimer’s disease:
- Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that typically affects people older than 65.
- The disease destroys brain cells and nerves and disrupts the message carrying neurotransmitters.
- There is no treatment that cures Alzheimer’s disease or alters the disease process in the brain.Most drugs being developed try to slow down or stop the progression of the disease.