- The Government of India,the Government of Kerala and the World Bank has signed a Loan Agreement of $250 million for the First Resilient Kerala Program.
- The new programme is part of the Government of India’s support to Kerala’s ‘Rebuild Kerala Development Programme’ aimed at building a green and resilient Kerala.
- This partnership will identify key areas of policy and institutional strengthening to maximize development impact.
- The 2018 floods and landslides in Kerala led to severe impact on property,infrastructure and lives and livelihoods of people.One sixth of the State’s population were affected especially the poor and vulnerable segments of the population.
- Further,the Program will focus on strengthening the State’s institutional and financial capacity to protect the assets and livelihoods of poor and vulnerable groups through an inclusive and participatory approach.
- The program will plan projects to improve (a)river basin planning (b)water supply and sanitation services (c)promote sustainable agriculture practices (d)implement risk-based urban planning and (e)strengthen expenditure planning by urban local bodies.
5 min read