News:Union Jal Shakti Minister launched Ganga Aamantran – a unique social awareness initiative to connect with Ganga’s Stakeholders.
About the abhiyan:
- The ‘Ganga Aamantran Abhiyan’ is an exploratory open-water rafting and kayaking expedition on the Ganga River to be held between 10th October 2019 to 11 November 2019.
- The abhiyan will start at Devprayag and culminate at GangaSagar.The expedition will cover the entire stretch of over 2500 kms of the Ganga River.
- This is the first ever effort by National Mission for Clean Ganga to raft across the entire stretch of the river.
- It will also be the longest ever social campaign undertaken through an adventure sporting activity to spread the message of River Rejuvenation and Water Conservation on a massive scale.
- The expedition will cover the five Ganga basin states including Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal.
- The expedition will be supported by all the stakeholders of Namami Gange including the MPs of the constituency along Ganga river and members of Ganga Praharis among others.
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
- It has been established as an Authority under National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Act, 2016.
- It is the implementing agency of the Namami Gange Programme at the national level.
- Ganga Praharis are self-motivated and trained volunteers from among the local communities working for biodiversity conservation and cleanliness of the Ganga River.
- They are roped-in by Wildlife Institute of India (WII) as part of the “Biodiversity Conservation and Ganga Rejuvenation” project.
- The Ganga Praharis will be the role models in inspiring other members of the community to join hands in the efforts for conservation of the biodiversity of river Ganga.Thus,each Prahari shall work on the model of ‘Each One Make Ten’.