News:Union Minister of Tribal Affairs has announced the second phase of programme GOAL (Going Online as Leaders) for tribal women.
About the programme:
- Going Online as Leaders(GOAL) is a digital skilling initiative launched by Facebook in March,2019 for underprivileged tribal women.
- The program aims at inspiring, guiding and encouraging tribal girls from across India to become village-level digital young leaders for their communities.
- In order to become a beneficiary of the program the girls should be above 18 years of age and should have dropped out of school and should be of tribal origin.
- The initiative seeks to nurture and train young girls from India’s tribal heartland across three core areas – digital literacy, life skills, leadership and entrepreneurship.
- The project also connects the women with senior experts in areas of business, fashion and arts to learn digital and life skills.
Second phase of the programme:
- In the second phase,the Facebook and Tribal ministry will partner to digitally mentor 5000 young women in India’s tribal dominated districts.
- The program will include weekly one-to-one mentoring sessions.It will also focus on online safety, entrepreneurship among others.
About Tribal Population in India
- As per the data of 2011 census about 104 million tribal people are living in India.
- Most of the tribal people are living in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andaman Nicobar Islands and some north-eastern states.