- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his Independence Day speech, has said that Rs 3.5 lakh crore will be spent in the coming years under the Jal Jeevan Mission to bring piped water to households.
- Jal Jeevan Mission seeks to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections (HarGharJal) to all rural households by 2024. The mission will be implemented by the Jal Shakti Ministry.
- The Mission will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level. It will implement source sustainability measures recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
- The Mission seeks to converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across India.
- According to the Jal Shakti Ministry, only 18% of India’s rural households have access to piped water.
1 min read