- Government will soon recommend a second list of Public Sector Units (PSU) assets that could be monetised to raise resources for fresh investment by these undertakings.
- The Union Budget 2019 has set a high target of Rs 1.05 lakh crore from disinvestment for the current fiscal year compared with Rs 90,000 crore in the Interim Budget.
- Apart from residual stake sales, buybacks and strategic sales, land monetisation will be a key component of the Centre’s attempt to raise resources.
- Government has said that asset recycle and monetisation should not be confused with disinvestment. In disinvestment,the government offloads or sells part of its ownership whereas in asset monetisation,the ownership remains with the government but the underlying assets are leased on a long-term basis to private players.
- Recently,the Cabinet had cleared the bid by Adani Enterprises for the lease of three airports namely Ahmedabad, Lucknow and Mangaluru operated by the Airports Authority of India on a public-private partnership basis. Adani enterprises would carry out the operations,management and development of the airports for 50 years.
2 min read