- Government has has announced that FASTags will become mandatory for all vehicles from December,2019.
- This decision has been taken in order to promote faster payment of fees through the digital mode so that vehicles can move through seamlessly, and traffic jams at the toll plazas can be prevented.
- However, among all lanes,one ‘hybrid lane’ will be allowed at every toll plaza to facilitate and monitor over-dimensional or oversized vehicles, where FASTag and other modes of payment will be accepted.
- FASTag is an electronic toll collection device which is installed in vehicle mostly attached to the windscreen to help drivers drive through toll plazas without having to stop.
- FASTag uses radio frequency identification(RFID) technology to enable direct toll payments while vehicle is moving.The toll fare is deducted directly from prepaid of saving bank account linked to FASTag.
1 min read