News:Government of India has launched green firecrackers in a bid to resolve the crisis of air pollution.
- In October 2018,the Supreme Court had banned the manufacture, sale and use of firecrackers that are loud and toxic to man, animal and the environment.
- The court had allowed for sale of green and improved crackers through licensed traders.
What are Green Crackers:
- Green crackers are so named because they do not contain harmful chemicals that would cause air pollution.
- In green crackers the commonly used polluting chemicals like aluminium, barium, potassium nitrate and carbon have either been removed or sharply reduced to slow down the emissions by 15 to 30%.
- Scientists at Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has developed less polluting green firecrackers named as (a) Safe Water Releaser(SWAS) (b) Safe Thermite Cracker(STAR) and (c) Safe Minimal Aluminium(SAFAL).
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR) is an autonomous research and development body established by the Government of India in 1942.
- It covers a wide spectrum of science and technology –from radio, oceanography, geophysics, chemicals, drugs, genomics, biotechnology and nanotechnology among others.
- It provides significant technological intervention in many areas with regard to societal efforts which include environment, health, drinking water, food, housing, energy, farm and non-farm sectors.