- Gujarat has been put on high alert after Cyclonic storm Vayu intensified into a severe cyclonic storm. The cyclonic storm has been named Vayu by India.
- The severe cyclonic storm Vayu developed in the Arabian Sea and is expected to make a landfall on the Saurashtra coast between Porbandar and Mahuva Kutch.
- The IMD ranks cyclones on a 5-point scale- a) Cyclonic storm, b) Severe cyclonic storm, c) Very severe cyclonic storm, d) Extremely Severe cyclonic storm and e) Super cyclonic storm.
- If a Deep Depression develops gale force wind speeds of between 62–88 km/h, it is called a Cyclonic storm. Severe Cyclonic Storms have storm force wind speeds of between 89–117 km/h.
- Very Severe Cyclonic Storms have hurricane-force winds of 118–166 km/h. Super Cyclonic Storms have hurricane-force winds of above 222 km/h.
5 min read