- Indian AirForce (IAF) has successfully test fired the BrahMos air version missile from its Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.BrahMos missile is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile with ranges of close to 300 km.
- A cruise missile is an unmanned self-propelled (till the time of impact) guided vehicle that sustains flight through aerodynamic lift for most of its flight path.
- Its primary mission is to place an ordnance or special payload on a target.Supersonic cruise missile travels at a speed of around 2-3 Mach which means it travels a kilometre approximately in a second.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between India and Russia.It is named after Brahmaputra and Moscow rivers.It is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against surface and sea-based targets.
- The land and sea variants of BrahMos are already operational with the Army and Navy.The Army has deployed three BrahMos regiments on the Western and Eastern borders.
- Further,BrahMos missile provides Indian Air Force a much desired capability to strike from large standoff ranges on any target at sea or on land with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and in all weather conditions.
6 min read