- Indian AirForce (IAF) has successfully test fired the BrahMos air version missile from its Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.BrahMos missile is a 2.5 ton supersonic air to surface cruise missile with ranges of close to 300 km.
- A cruise missile is an unmanned self-propelled (till the time of impact) guided vehicle that sustains flight through aerodynamic lift for most of its flight path.
- Its primary mission is to place an ordnance or special payload on a target.Supersonic cruise missile travels at a speed of around 2-3 Mach which means it travels a kilometre approximately in a second.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between India and Russia.It is named after Brahmaputra and Moscow rivers.It is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against surface and sea-based targets.
- The land and sea variants of BrahMos are already operational with the Army and Navy.The Army has deployed three BrahMos regiments on the Western and Eastern borders.
- Further,BrahMos missile provides Indian Air Force a much desired capability to strike from large standoff ranges on any target at sea or on land with pinpoint accuracy by day or night and in all weather conditions.
Please follow and like us: