News: The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has issued a 15-point directive to chief secretaries in 11 Ganga-basin states.
- The directives include cordoning off ghats and imposing a fine of Rs 50,000, to prevent the immersion of idols in the Ganga or its tributaries during the festive season.
- It also states that adequate arrangements should be made for designated idol-immersion sites within the municipal area or bank of river Ganga and its tributaries by constructing temporary confined ponds with removable synthetic liners at the bottom.
- The NMCG has also directed that District Magistrates enforce these directions by ensuring monitoring and enforcement.
- It was launched in 2014. It is an Integrated Conservation Mission under Ministry of Jal Shakti. Aim: achieve effective abatement of pollution, conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- Main Pillars:
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure,
- River-Surface Cleaning,
- Industrial Effluent Monitoring,
- River-Front Development,
- Ganga Gram and
- Public Awareness
Institutional structure for policy and implementation: A 5 tier structure was put forward by National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Act, 2016
- National Ganga Council:
- It has been established as an Authority under National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Act, 2016
- It functions under chairmanship of Prime Minister of India
- It is responsible for superintendence, direction, development and control of River Ganga and the river basin, for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga:
- It functions under chairmanship of Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- It ensures that states, ministries, departments have an action plan with specific activities, milestones, and timeliness for implementing the programme.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
- It has been established as an Authority under National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Act, 2016.
- It is the implementing agency of the Namami Gange Programme at the national level.
- State Ganga Committees oversee the implementation of the programme in respective states.
- District Ganga Committees in every specified districts through which river Ganga and its tributaries pass