News:India wants higher indigenous content in the Kamov-226T light utility choppers which are to be jointly built in India with Russia.
About the Deal:
- India and Russia had signed the deal for 200 Kamov KA-226T light utility helicopters during Indian Prime Minister’s visit to Russia in 2015.
- Under the deal,Russia will supply 60 Kamov KA-226T light utility helicopters in a fly-away condition.
- The rest will be assembled in India jointly with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited(HAL) under ‘Make in India’ programme to promote domestic manufacturing.
- Kamov 226 is a small, twin engine Russian utility helicopter.It is manufactured by Russian Helicopters.It will replace the ageing Cheetah and Chetak choppers.
- The helicopter has a maximum takeoff weight of 3.6 tons.It can carry up to one ton payload.It has a maximum speed of 220 Km/hr.
- Kamov 226 is capable of working in extreme and difficult weather conditions.This includes hot climate, marine areas and high mountains.
- The machine has excellent maneuverability, handling and easy maintenance.