News: India is in preliminary discussions to be a part of the East Asian Observatories Consortium.
About East Asian Observatories Consortium
- It is formed by EACOA (East Asian Core Observatories Association).
- At present, China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea are full members and Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia are ‘observers’,
- It seeks to pursue joint projects in astronomy within the East Asian region
Event Horizon Telescope:
- It is an international collaboration of eight different telescopes at different observatories around the world. It was launched in 2009.
- The first image of a black hole, at the center of galaxy Messier 87, was published by the EHT in 2019
Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT): It is a proposed astronomical observatory with an extremely large telescope (ELT). It is proposed to be built on Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano and the highest point in Hawaii.