News:India and Japan are going to hold the 2+2 Dialogue in Delhi.
About 2+2 Dialogue:
- The 2+2 is a format of dialogue where the defense and foreign ministers or secretaries meet with their counterparts from another country.
- India and Japan had started the 2+2 dialogue at the level of officials in 2010.But they decided to upgrade it to the ministerial level during their summit in October,2018.
- Currently,India has a 2+2 ministerial mechanism with the US and 2+2 official level mechanism between India and Australia.
- Hence with this,India has 2+2 mechanism with all the Quad countries.
India-Japan 2+2 Dialogue:
- The 2+2 meeting between India and Japan would provide an opportunity for the two sides to review the status of and exchange further views on strengthening defence and security cooperation.
- The two sides will also exchange views on the situation in the Indo-Pacific region and their respective efforts under India’s ‘Act East Policy’ and Japan’s ‘Free and Open Indo-Pacific Vision’ for achieving their shared objectives of peace, prosperity and progress in the region.
About About the Quad group:
- Quadrilateral Security Dialogue(QSD) is the strategic dialogue between four countries viz. India, United States, Japan and Australia.
- It was originally initiated in 2007 but later disbanded with withdrawal of Australia.It has later revived in 2017.
- The Quad is viewed as a group of four democracies with a shared objective to ensure and support a free, open and prosperous Indo-Pacific region.
- The foundation of Quad is also based on collective effort and shared commitment on counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, maritime security cooperation, development finance and cybersecurity.