- India has proposed to Pakistan to hold fresh round of talks on the Kartarpur corridor.
- The proposed talks would discuss on the modalities for movement of pilgrims and resolve outstanding technical issues related to alignment and infrastructure along the corridor.
- The talks was originally expected to take place in April but India had postponed the talks as Pakistan had appointed Khalistani elements on a committee associated with the Kartarpur corridor.
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long proposed corridor comprising border gates,road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.It is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi,about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.
- Pilgrimages between India and Pakistan are governed by the 1974 Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines.
4 min read