- India has voted in support of Israel at the UN’s Economic and Social Council(ECOSOC) to deny observer status to a Palestinian human rights organisation named ‘Shahed’.
- This is the first time India has taken a step back from its decades-old position on the two-state theory under which India sees both Israel and Palestine as separate and independent countries.
- India has voted against after Israel has said that Shahed has links with Hezbollah and Palestinian Islamic Jihad that was designated as terrorist organisation in 1997.
- Israel has also said that Shahed operates as an arm of the Hamas based in Lebanon.The US has listed Hamas as a foreign terrorist organisation.
- The two-state theory refers to the Israeli–Palestinian conflict which envisages an independent State of Palestine alongside the State of Israel.
- The United Nations Economic and Social Council(ECOSOC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- The Council serves as the central forum for discussing international economic and social issues and formulating policy recommendations addressed to the member states and the United Nations system.
7 min read